A lot of customers ask us if it's possible to cook gluten-free bread or cakes in their Zojirushi BB-HAQ10 mini home bakery. Of course it is!
To help a little, here is a delicious carrot cake recipe with optional cream cheese icing. To help the cake last longer, you can always store the icing separately in a tight fitting tupperware box in the fridge and add to individual pieces of cake when you want to eat it. Although, with the Yum Asia team around, there is no such thing as cakes lasting a long time!
For the cake
- 2 Tbsp. (13.0g) flaxseed meal
- 6 Tbsp. (84.0g) hot water (90°C-97°C)
- 1/3 cup (39.7g) white sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup (74g) brown rice flour
- 3 Tbsp. (24.6g) potato starch
- 1-1/2 Tbsp.(10.5g) tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp.(1.3g) xanthan gum
- 2-1/2 tsp.(8.8g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp.(2.6g) baking soda
- 1 tsp.(2.0g) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. (1.0g) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (99g) sugar
- 3 Tbsp. (44.1g) apple sauce
- 1/2 cup (108g) olive oil
- 1 cup (110.7g) peeled and shredded carrot
For the icing
- 100g butter, softened
- 300g soft cheese
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, add flaxseed meal and hot water and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour ingredients (white sorghum flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg) and sugar well with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, mix flaxseed meal solution, apple sauce, olive oil well with a whisk. Add the shredded carrot. Make sure the kneading blade is properly attached, and pour into the baking pan.
- Add the flour mixture from step 1 into the baking pan.
- Place the baking pan in the mini home bakery, close the lid and plug the power cord into the outlet. Select CAKE course. Set the crust setting to REGULAR. Press START
- When the ‘add’ beeps sound, open the lid and carefully scrape off any flour that may be left on the side of the pan with a rubber spatula. Please be careful if the kneading blade is moving.
- Close the lid and continue baking, press START to resume kneading. If you don’t press START, the mini home bakery will automatically start after 20 minutes.
- When baking completes, press CANCEL and remove the pan to a cooling rack.
- For the icing, beat the butter until really soft, then beat in the soft cheese, icing sugar and vanilla. Use a palette or cutlery knife to swirl the icing on top of the cake
- Eat and enjoy!