We love Mexican food and decided to try recreating our favourite quesadilla and tomato salsa.
Pair this with our Mexican rice recipe for a real feast!
Ingredients for quesadillas
- Chicken breast cut into small pieces
- Red pepper cut into in small chunks
- Red onion, sliced finely
- Fajita mix seasoning (Marks and Spencers is very, very good) added to 250ml of water
- 100g of medium/strong cheddar cheese and 100g of monterey jack cheese, both finely grated and mixed together
Ingredients for salsa
- 1 or 2 red onions finely chopped (depends on the size if it’s 1 or 2)
- 12 medium sized tomatoes, deseeded and chopped finely
- Fresh coriander, a handful
- 1 tablespoon of lime or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of tabasco (you might need less, we love our food spicy!)
- 2 teaspoons of sugar (you might only need 1, depends on how sweet the tomatoes are)
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Salt and black pepper
Method (for the salsa)
- Mix all the ingredients together and leave in the fridge in an airtight container to blend the flavours
- Test after a couple of hours and balance out the taste with seasoning
Method (for the quesadillas)
- Marinade the chicken, red pepper and onion in the fajita spice mix. Leave to marinade for at least an hour.
- Cook the chicken mixture and when cooked, shred with two forks to make it very finely sliced and set to one side in foil to keep warm.
- To build the quesadillas – melt 1 teaspoon of butter in a frying pan. Place a tortilla in the pan and put a layer of cheese on it, follow this with a layer of the chicken, pepper and onion mixture. Place another tortilla on top of this, then put another pan on top to weigh it down.
- Once nicely brown on one side, flip the quesadilla and weigh down again to cook the other side. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and chicken mixture.
- Cut each quesadilla into quarters and serve with the spicy salsa