The best rice pudding ever...so delicious!
Rice pudding is not just for winter. Use your Zojirushi Rice Cooker for best results!
- 2 cups arborio rice or short-grain rice (this is measured in your rice cooker cup measure)
- cold water filled to the 2 cup mark
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (this is measured in your rice cooker cup measure)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (this is measured in your rice cooker cup measure)
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk (this is measured in your rice cooker cup measure)
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 lemon zest, one large piece of lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (or less if you prefer)
1. Measure your short grain rice with the measuring cup you got with your rice cooker. For this recipe you need to start with two of those measures.
2. Measure first the rice then rinse rice in cold water, and place rice, water and salt into the rice cooker, choose the white rice setting and start the cooking cycle. Cook until it clicks automatically to warm.
3. Meanwhile whisk evaporated milk, coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, lemon zest (a large thin slice of zest, not grated) and nutmeg together.
4. When rice has been cooked and the rice cooker has switched to warm, disconnect the cord from outlet, stir once and let the cooked rice cool for 15 minutes.
5. Then add the whisked milks into the rice, close lid and set the cooker to the KEEP WARM setting. Check about 30 minutes later and see if it is at the consistency you like. Alternatively you can use the ‘REHEAT’ function to speed this process up. We find using the REHEAT function thickens the rice/milk mixture to a nice thickness.
6. Discard the cinnamon stick (if using) and the lemon zest.
7. Place into individual dishes and garnish with ground cinnamon and cream if desired.